Professional field: "Mechanical Engineering"
Field of higher education: "Technical Sciences"
The doctoral program "Optical and laser devices and methods" provides the acquisition of the necessary knowledge, skills and professional competencies for the development and successful defence of a dissertation. The training is carried out in a regular and independent form of training with a duration of up to three years, and in part-time and by distance form of training with a duration of up to four years. Those who successfully defend their dissertations acquire the educational and scientific degree of "Doctor" in "Optical and laser devices and methods".
Objectives of the doctoral program:
• To train highly qualified specialists in the field of optical and optoelectronic devices and methods, with experience in carrying out independent scientific, research and teaching activities.
• To expand and deepen the general and professional competence of doctoral students in the field of optical and optoelectronic devices and methods.
• To gain methodological experience in analyzing the results of scientific research and in preparing and substantiating recommendations related to the methodology for construction, improvement and specifics of operation of optical and optoelectronic devices and systems related to armaments and equipment.
• To study the possibilities and prospects for the use of modern technologies in the development of optical and laser devices and systems and to solve various tasks in both the military and civilian fields.
• To master the methodology for planning and organizing the research and presenting the achieved results to the scientific national and international community.
Scope of the doctoral program
The program covers an interdisciplinary scientific field located on the border between design and construction of opto-mechanical and optoelectronic devices, physics and optics of the atmosphere and other conductive media, technique and technology of optical and optoelectronic devices and systems, optical, optoelectronic and electronic materials and elements, information systems, informatics and computer science. It is characterized by in-depth knowledge of optical and optoelectronic devices and systems, various branches of optics, materials science, information systems, informatics and computer science. It uses the achievements of modern information technology for engineering calculations. It has a specific practical focus on security and defence.
This program enables educational activities in the following research areas:
• structural and strength calculations of units and details for the devices and systems necessary for the armament;
• tests of known and theoretical developments for new devices and systems in the field of optics and optoelectronics;
• modeling and simulations of the processes taking place during the operation of the optical and optoelectronic devices with a view to a thorough understanding of the processes and hence the possibilities for increasing their efficiency;
• research and visualization of the operation of new components, parts and building elements subjected to variable loads with large amplitudes, both in laboratory and in kind.
The successfully graduated doctoral student:
• possesses and uses specialized and systematized knowledge to perform critical analysis and to synthesize new ideas;
• has knowledge and skills to use scientific approaches to describe and build models of optical and optoelectronic devices and systems;
• masters the research methods in the field of optical and optoelectronic devices and systems;
• presents knowledge and understanding at the highest level not only in the field of optical and optoelectronic systems and technologies, informatics and computer science, but also in related scientific fields;
• demonstrates and expresses knowledge through the degree of complexity of conducted, mastered and substantiated scientific research;
• has the skills to solve and overcome critical problems in the field of research and / or innovation, to improve standard models and approaches, to develop innovative solutions by combining various original strategies and technologies.
Graduates of the doctoral program in "Optical and laser devices and methods" are specialists who are able to carry out independent research and innovative teaching activities in universities and research organizations in the field of specialized technologies and techniques. Specialists with a scientific degree "Doctor" in the scientific specialty "Optical and laser devices and methods" are wanted and valued in a number of areas of public life as leading specialists in the optical industry and for practical research in this field.